Saturday, February 16, 2008

IT'S HARLEY DAY!

Today is Harley day in the Hellewell home. Around 11 years ago I raised two Macaws from naked baby hatchlings. My favorite was a Harlequin Macaw I named Harley. My Mom and Dad had bought the eggs and while waiting for them to hatch my dad passed away. He was going to be the one to raise the Macaws, because my mom is allegic to baby bird formula. Since my Dad wasn't there I was asked to raise the babies. I was 18 years old, and very excited and nervous to take this job on. The babies had to be fed every hour the first two weeks then every two hours and working down until they were weaned several months later.
I loved my birds more than I had expected, but I wasn't at a point in life where I could spend time with them. I started College full-time in the fall and was working part-time. They were not happy being alone all day. I decided in spring 1998 that they needed someone who had more time for them. It took months to find homes for them. Several people wanted Harley, but he was so attatched to me he didn't take to them. Then a guy came along that Harley liked, but I was nervous about Harley's choice. Ron had never owned a pet and lived in an appartment with his wife and daughter. Ron made payments over the next three months, visiting weekly. By the time Harley was ready to go I felt like they had been fully prepared and were ready. I drove Harley to his new home, set up his cage, and said good-bye. I kept their number and called to check a couple times until he was well adjusted.
Two years passed and in the summer of 2000 life had changed. I was married and staying home with our 6 month old Mason. I called to make sure my birds were still happy and see if there was any chance of having them back. When I called on Harley I had a heartbreak. They had sold him 6 months before. Ron didn't explain why, and had no response when I reminded him of our agreement to call me if anything was ever not working out. I suspect money problems and to him the bird was cash.
Then in January 2008 we saw a Harlequin Macaw on KSL.com. Since a Harlequin Macaw is a hybrid of a Blue and Gold and a Greenwing macaw they are somewhat rare. I had to check but it was with no real hope. We emailed and come to find out it's Harley! It had been 10 years since I had seen him. We visited him at his home, and found that he had a wonderful family after all. He was in full feather, a happy well adjusted bird. After three visits we decided we wanted him to be a part of our family. We had to save up to buy him, so Mason asked if he could buy Harley for me. He used all his piggy bank money adding up to $20 to go in on the bird with Ryan. Between Ryan and Mason they bought the bird for me!

In light of finding Harley and having him come back to me I have to say My Heavenly Father loves me. He knows me personally. He cares for my happiness. I also know that Ryan and Mason love me! Thank you so much guys! It is with great joy and much expression I say...
"It's Harley Day!"

2 comments:

lbugsh2 said...

YEA YEA YEA. I am so happy you have your bird back. I guess we will have to send you bird food for your birthday now.

Lisa P said...

Does Harley remember you???!!! What a cool story!